[aklug] Re: Ubuntu issues

From: Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Wed Mar 03 2010 - 21:59:37 AKST

I use debfoster on all my servers. I can distribute the debfoster
'keepers' list to ones I like to be configured similarly and run
debfoster -F to get things synced up. I use it on my workstations as
well to minimize the amount of cruft.

I have a document in progress that shows it off a bit at
http://www.madmanguides.com/wiki/TopicSystemTechnologyDebianInstallationMin=
imal
. I use this as my minimal multi purpose server setup. Primarily I
make sure that 'InstallRecommends' is turned completely off within
'apt' and debfoster is used to install and "keep" packages. i know
that aptitude has a solution for this as well, but I never got it to
work nearly as well.

- Shane

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 7:48 PM, Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Might get him to try Deborphan, clean and autoremove under current
> circumstances. Not being a Debian/Ubuntu user, I wasn't familiar with
> them. Could guess at what "clean" was, basically same as "yum clean" in
> Fedora. Had to google the others.
>
> What the heck is "Delocaliser"? I googled it and everything came up
> Greek.
>
> Jim G
>
> On Wed, 2010-03-03 at 14:38 -0900, Lee Brumbaugh wrote:
>> There are programs like Deborphan or Delocaliser that I believe are simp=
le enough that you could compile them with your standard make/make install =
that might be able to clean a little space up. =A0I also recently ran acros=
s BleachBit (I believe on Sourceforge) that's basically a CCleaner for Linu=
x that may help. If an apt-get clean/autoremove freezes up as well, you cou=
ld run a find command in var to see what folder is taking up the most space=
. =A0Something like a 'find /var --max-depth=3D1' will tell you which folde=
r has the most data. =A0As Jon was saying if it is a LVM, running vgdisplay=
 will show unallocated space that could be added to var.