[aklug] Re: Versioning File Systems

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Wed Mar 03 2010 - 22:22:06 AKST

Shane Spencer wrote:
> s/Christian/Cristopher/g;
>
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 9:54 PM, Shane Spencer <shane@bogomip.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 3:14 PM, Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com> wrote:
>>> I was a VMS user while I worked at UAA.
>>>
>>> VMS's shell, DCL, supported (and in this case utilized) versioning.
>>>
>>> $ show default
>>> $my_path:[fnord]:
>>> history.txt;1 history.txt;2 history.txt;3
>>>
>> That reminds me of AtFS (atfs is pretty common in most linux distros,
>> but rarely used since CVS/SVN is more common)
>>
>> Christopher there are lots of fuse based filesystems as well as
>> operating systems like opensolaris that can use zfs and export it over
>> NFS/SMB. One trick I thought was rather neat with SMB was the ability
>> to create shadow copy information for Windows clients to use by
>> enabling the module and setting up directories accordingly.
>>
>> There is also NILFS.. I freaking love NILFS but it's kinda immature.
>> While you're at it download Dragonfly BSD and check out HammerFS.. mwa
>> ha ha ha ha.
>>
>> Personally, Christian, I would just use SVN + WebDAV and davfs2. Then
>> I would also use metastore occasionally to back up file
>> permissions/owner/user/acl info. It's simple to set up and centralize
>> and fully automatic and mostly atomic.
>>
>> - Shane

Ha! You can call me Christian if you want to. But only if you mean it in
the theological sense. That's basically what "Christopher" means,
etymologically.

To be honest, I hate SVN. For real projects I'm a die-hard Git fanatic.

As far as filesystems: since you speak pretty highly of NILFS, I think
I'll play around with it. Looks like they've got a real professional
looking website, at least. Only concern is it says "Quota support" is
still on the TODO list. (Does the filesystem have to support quotas for
user quotas to be implemented?)

- --
/ \
| Christopher Howard |