[aklug] Re: Icecast server

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 19:07:59 AKST

bdk wrote:
> I was using Joomla with a podcast plugin that allows people to subscribe
> to the my pastor's sermon (GodCast) and a separate feed if they wanted
> to listen to the whole service. A feature of the podcast plugin was a
> flash player that allowed streaming on demand, no separate streaming
> server needed. The files were stored and downloaded as mp3s, I'm not
> sure if they were streamed in flash as mp3s or if flash has it's own
> codec for audio. I'm in the process of getting things set back up again
> as our previous hosting company "lost" our dbase and most of our files.
> It worked really well for members that could not attend regularly due to
> working on the slope and in the fishing industry. They were all able to
> listen at their leisure.
>
> -Sean

Thanks Sean - Damien offered a similar suggestion using WordPress and a
podcast plugin. We won't be blogging on the site (at least not right
now), but the general approach is the same.

The previous hosting service had Joomla so we were looking at putting
that on the server. The guy that actually worked on the web site liked
it so that sounds like a pretty good option.

I'm a bit unclear though - are your mp3s hosted on the Godcast server?
If so, where can I find info about setting up an account and uploading
our files? If they're hosted locally, is the podcast plug-in all that's
necessary?

How much bandwidth do you folks use? Is it enough? (OK, loaded
question. There's never enough bandwidth!)

Thanks much...

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller