[aklug] Re: Install Fest - last minute info

From: Robert Crowe <crowe.robert@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 17:13:18 AKST

> I don't think anyone is disputing what you're saying. My only point is
> that
> I don't think it's a viable position to expect a Windows users to remain a
> Windows users on a Linux system. Anyone who stays a Windows user on Linux
> is going to be hosting a root kit within a week. Some
> habits/perspectives/practices are bad regardless of the OS.

And that is the truth sir! I started out with a Apple IIe with the CLI than
the Commodore 128 and BASIC. I enjoyed that as a kid taking the source code
"Type-In" out of the back of Byte magazine to see what program I would yield
(and the bugs I had to chase out because of a typo) The beginning of the end
was Windows 95, the GUI and those "bad habits." Good stuff being printed
here...

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Lee Ross <leeross@gci.net> wrote:

> [...]
>
> I really miss Tux Magazine. They had to close their doors after only 17
> or
> 18 issues. They published stuff the new guy could understand! Hint Hint.
>
> --
> Lee Ross
> Anchorage, Ak
>

> Got any suggestions Lee? What did Tux do in the way of helping out a new
> users?
>
> Jon
> ---------
>

> I believe you can still subscribe to the old issues. Take a look at this
> link
> http://www.tuxmagazine.com/node/1000189
>
> Without a doubt I can say Tux would explain things so everyone could
> understand what was being said about any given subject. They always
> explained what every acronym meant and would show you how to do
> configurations and operations in the GUI as well as the command line. I've
> saved all magazines to my desktop and refer to them whenever need be.....
>
> Tux wasn't about one distribution, it was about Linux and they would help
> you through the oddities of the different distros but mostly they talked
> down to my level of understanding. ie If the subject was about file
> systems they would show you how to use command line and GUI drag and drop
> techniques alike.
>
> I'm not an administrator by a long shot, I'm just a user that likes to do
> browsing, email, photography, cad and building computers. I'm pretty much
> a novice at all of this but continue to learn all these things as time
> allows. I don't want to be an administrator or hacker as I wouldn't have
> time to do anything else and my entire life would be consumed by learning
> what makes these OS's tick. My first Linux attempt was Mandrake 6.5. I
> then went to Red Hat several years later.......found out about Suse and
> have used that for the last four years. I've also tried Kubunto, Knoppix
> and Debian. Suse has been by far the most user friendly to me and I've
> become very comfortable with it. I've managed to luck out and create a
> network behind a router with four machines all talking to each other. I've
> even managed somehow to get fish working and have transferred files from
> one computer to the other.
>
> Having said all of that, Suse is not a very popular distro in Anchorage so
> I spend the majority of my time following the opensuse mailing list. I
> pick up something off there once in a while when someone slips and gives a
> detailed explanation of how to remedy a problem. Most of the time you find
> a question and the answer is a line of unintelligable jibberish to use on
> command line leaving all details aside. It usually takes me a long time to
> fix something I've messed up but I get the job done somehow.
>
> Never have figured out how to view movies or burn cd's from my JVC Everio.
> It has a 30 gig harddrive. I can't even get it to work on Windows xp.

"Listen to me! When you die in Alaska you die in real life!"
"Change before you have to"
"If you want to build a ship
don't herd people together to collect wood
and don't assign them tasks and work,
but rather teach them to long for the
endless immensity of the sea."
Antoine-Marie-Roger de Saint-Exupery