[aklug] Apache virtual host configuration

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 14:25:58 AKDT

Hi. I'm trying to set up Ubuntu Server 7.10 inside a QEMU VM. It's
main purpose is to be a testing web-server, where I'll test html, shtml
and scripts and then rsync them to my main website.

However, it is my first time ever trying to configure Apache. (It's
been a fun ride, let me tell you...) Would one of you kind people be
willing to send me a copy of one of your Virtualhost configurations?
There are a few things that are of concern to me in how I set my server up:
1. It should be able to execute scripts in the cgi-bin.
2. It should recognize SHTML.
3. It should be able to use those 'include' directives inside SHTML to
include script output.
4. It should be able to default to an 'index.shtml' file at the webroot
if the client does not specify a specific document in that directory.

Number one is the only thing I'm sure I've been able to get working
correctly. As for two and three, I found the appropriate instructions
in the Apache documentation, but it still doesn't seem to be working for
me. It would really help if I had working examples that incorporated
some of these things.

(And, in case you're wondering, I did try to check to see what the
config files were like on the web server for my site. But there it is a
shared server environment, so I didn't have access to that kind of info.)

Thank you,
choward@indicium.us