[aklug] Re: Converting to Virtualbox

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@muni.org>
Date: Mon Aug 18 2008 - 15:12:26 AKDT

Usual disclaimer: I Am Not An Expert, although I play one in Real Life <tm>=
.

I found that virtualbox doesn't work or play well with any sort of hardenin=
g, and that monitors such as PaX or grsec cause virtualbox to abend. (Asid=
e: there are selinux profiles for it).

Cursory examinations of the logs indicates that the developers were playing=
 fast and loose with their programming practices, doing the sorts of questi=
onable things that pax and grsec were designed to catch and prevent. Could=
 probably write exceptions around it, but why should you have to?

VMware may have the same types of issues, but last upgrade (a while back) b=
roke my 64bit compatibility, and I haven't had any need to fix it.

YMMV of course.