[aklug] Re: Apache virtual host configuration

From: Richard Moore <dewey.moore@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 19 2008 - 06:29:22 AKDT

first question about ubuntu Server, is apache installed the same way as it
is in debian. second are the host files all seperate in the
/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/<vhostfile>
if so you just make a new file, but remember whatever file is higher in the
abc naming convention, that file will be read as the default. so you want
your main site file to be 001-domain1.com, the second file would look like
002-domain2.com etc...

001-vendor.museumtour.com 101-webmail.museumtour.com
002-nagios.museumtour.com 102-webmailproto.museumtour.com
003-graphs.museumtour.com 103-graphs.museumtour.com
004-webmail.museumtour.com 105-group.museumtour.com
005-group.museumtour.com

this is my /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/ dir for one of our servers that have
sites on them.. the ones that start with 00 are the insecure sites the http
protocol. the sites start with 101 are the secure sites that are the https
protocol.

inside the file you need something similar to this..

<VirtualHost *:80>

        ##servers email address
        ServerAdmin customerservice@museumtour.com
        ServerName www.museumtour.com
        ServerAlias museumtour.com

        DocumentRoot /sites/museumtour.com/www/

        #this keeps people out of any directory accept the
        #the main documentroot
        <Directory />
                Options -FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                Deny from all
        </Directory>

        ##this is permissions for the main direcory
        <Directory /sites/museumtour.com/www/>
                Options ExecCGI
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>

         #added to keep people outside the network to
         #look at the php information
        <Files phpinfo.php>
                Order deny,allow
                Deny from all
                Allow from 192.168
        </Files>

       #script configs
       ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
      <Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
               AllowOverride None
               Options ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
               Order allow,deny
               Allow from all
       </Directory>

       ##custom log files
        # alert, emerg.
        LogLevel warn
                                                            ned
        CustomLog /logs/museumtour.com/access.log combined env=!dontlog

        ServerSignature On

       ##custom error pages
        ErrorDocument 400 /page_not_found.php
        ErrorDocument 401 /page_not_found.php
        ErrorDocument 403 /page_not_found.php
        ErrorDocument 404 /page_not_found.php
        ErrorDocument 500 /page_not_found.php

</VirtualHost>

as far as making them work with php, cgi-bin, and shtml, and any other, you
need to install all the stuff that goes along with it,

to install apache2, making it work with php5, the command would be something
like
sudo apt-get install apache2 php5 libapache2-mod-php5 --- if you want
anything else that goes with php5 just sudo apt-cache search php5.. that
will give you all the stuff that goes along with php5 such as php5-gd
php5-mhash php5-mysql etc...

you can google cgi-bin scripts, I do not use them, I use all php with all
webpages and scripts..

Hope this helps you, let me know

Richard