[aklug] Re: An article about a notepad addict

From: Josh Rhoades <kaiden11@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 08 2008 - 10:13:26 AKDT

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 11:50 PM, Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us> wrote:
> I probably shouldn't be wasting your time, but I was curious as to your
> reaction. This is about a blog-post/article at Computerworld.com, which
> I happened across while I was browsing my RSS feeds:
> http://blogs.computerworld.com/finally_a_better_notepad_than_notepad
>
> It is written by a professional technical journalist, who indicates that
> for the last 18 years of his life, the program he used more than any
> other was Windows Notepad. The blog-post/article is meant to
> communicate the exciting news that he was actually able to find a
> text-editor that he likes better than Notepad (called MyTextFile, and
> wants us to know about it.
>
> The whole thing struck me as rather funny, but maybe I'm just strange.

> -- Type: text/x-vcard
> -- File: choward.vcf

I'm glad that the MyTextFile app he uses provides version control.
Since I started using things like CVS/SVN/etc a few years ago, I'm
pretty convinced it's the best thing since Boolean logic. So much so
that at one point, about two years ago, I put together a similar web
front end for storywriting, with a story/chapter structure that would
let users create, update, and branch whatever they happened to commit
to the system. It was pretty rudimentary, but also pretty useful when
I'd be going back and forth between school and trying to maintain
different versions of things. I hope the concept continues to catch
on.