[aklug] Re: An article about a notepad addict

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Aug 08 2008 - 09:56:03 AKDT

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Christopher Howard wrote:

> I probably shouldn't be wasting your time, but I was curious as to your
> reaction. This is about a blog-post/article at Computerworld.com, which
> I happened across while I was browsing my RSS feeds:
> http://blogs.computerworld.com/finally_a_better_notepad_than_notepad
>
> It is written by a professional technical journalist, who indicates that
> for the last 18 years of his life, the program he used more than any
> other was Windows Notepad. The blog-post/article is meant to
> communicate the exciting news that he was actually able to find a
> text-editor that he likes better than Notepad (called MyTextFile, and
> wants us to know about it.
>
> The whole thing struck me as rather funny, but maybe I'm just strange.

<G> The fact that notepad is the most useful application out there for a
Windows user illustrates the difference in our cultures. In UNIX we've got
vi, and for a simple editor it's fantastically more featured than notepad.
And vi is what I use more than any other application.

You almost have to feel bad for the poor crippled OS users....

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die