[aklug] Newbie-ish wireless router question

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Fri Aug 08 2008 - 11:44:58 AKDT

I hope this isn't too dumb of a question. But I haven't had much
experience with wireless networks, as I've used Ethernet here at home
for so long. (It's like a tropical rain forest of Cat-5 cables here in
my room.)
Any two wireless routers can be configured to talk to each other,
right? You see, I'm planning to set up wireless routers in two separate
buildings on our property. I recently got DSL in one of the buildings.
I want to buy two wireless routers, and configure one to act as a
gateway for the other.

I don't simply want to extend the wireless coverage to the other
building. I'd like each building to have hard line and wireless
access. And I'd like to be able to put each building on a separate
subnet, play around with firewalls and traffic shaping, and such like.

I just thought I'd double check before I bought anything.

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: choward.vcf