[aklug] zimbra, blackberry and other smartphones

From: dhull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Thu Apr 10 2008 - 15:30:11 AKDT

I'm currently using zimbra. It's very nice. I like the ajax web interface. Here's the problem.

1. Most smartphones sync email and PIM data (calendar etc...)
2. These features require an exchange server

Blackberry is the number one mobile phone for email in the business world.

1. For full support you must have an exchange server
2. Must get the BES server/connecter from RIM to push email etc... to RIM servers
3. The BES software only works with exchange

If you want zimbra, blackberry, push email and PIM data syncing you need an exchange server somewhere. There is a zimbra client for phones but I'm not sure what it offers.