[aklug] Re: zimbra, blackberry and other smartphones

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu Apr 10 2008 - 15:58:01 AKDT

Quoting dhull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>:

> I'm currently using zimbra. It's very nice. I like the ajax web
> interface. Here's the problem.
>
> 1. Most smartphones sync email and PIM data (calendar etc...)
> 2. These features require an exchange server
>
> Blackberry is the number one mobile phone for email in the business world.
>
> 1. For full support you must have an exchange server
> 2. Must get the BES server/connecter from RIM to push email etc... to
> RIM servers
> 3. The BES software only works with exchange
>
> If you want zimbra, blackberry, push email and PIM data syncing you
> need an exchange server somewhere. There is a zimbra client for
> phones but I'm not sure what it offers.

This shows me that I don't want to use the Blackberry at all. I'm not
sure that a blackberry device really provides that much functionality
that would make me want to lock into a solution where I could only use
exchange.

You'll have to clear this up for me, but I was also under the
impression that it required the Enterprise version of Exchange....that
you couldn't use SBS (which is bad enough).

The iPhone offers a break from that. Although I haven't used one with
Linux yet, from some of the documentation I saw, it isn't far from
being able to sync to "standard" services.

Additionally, any device that can handle SyncML can use a product like
Horde and be able to sync their contacts, calendars and e-mail.

It seems that companies like Motorolla are leading the way to provide
standards based devices that we can all use, even if we cling to
Microsoft/Exchange.

Mike B.