[aklug] Re: zimbra, blackberry and other smartphones

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 07:45:45 AKDT

On Thu, 10 Apr 2008, dhull wrote:

> I'm currently using zimbra. It's very nice. I like the ajax web interface. Here's the problem.
>
> 1. Most smartphones sync email and PIM data (calendar etc...)
> 2. These features require an exchange server
>
> Blackberry is the number one mobile phone for email in the business world.
>
> 1. For full support you must have an exchange server
> 2. Must get the BES server/connecter from RIM to push email etc... to RIM servers
> 3. The BES software only works with exchange
>
> If you want zimbra, blackberry, push email and PIM data syncing you need an exchange server somewhere. There is a zimbra client for phones but I'm not sure what it offers.

With an extremely light dose of google'ing I find a note about Notify, a
member of the BlackBerry ISV Alliance Program. Excerpt from a blurb about
their product:

    To date, Notify has released eight NotifyLink Enterprise Edition versions
    providing full wireless email and PIM synchronization for BlackBerry
    users with alternative email collaboration suite platforms including:
    Oracle Collaboration Suite, Sun Java Communications Suite, Mirapoint
    Messaging Suite, Scalix Enterprise Messaging Suite, CommuniGate Pro
    Messaging Suite, Gordano Messaging Suite, and the Zimbra Collaboration
    Suite. In addition, Notify is in Beta trials with PeopleCube's Meeting
    Maker, Alt-N's MDaemon Server, and the Open-Xchange Server. Notify also
    provides an email synchronization-only version of its NotifyLink
    Enterprise Edition supporting the Kerio Mail Server, the FirstClass
    Communications Platform, SendMail, the IPswitch iMail and Collaboration
    Suite, Novell Netmail, and the Cyrus Email System.

Looks like you have a ton of options.

   http://www.notifycorp.com/

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die