[aklug] Re: Network Set Up Project

From: Bob Cortez <rjcortez@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 17:50:13 AKST

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 8:32 AM, barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:
> Quoting Bob Cortez <rjcortez@gmail.com>:
>
> > I'm happy to report that I've made great progress. All of the machines
> are
> > on-line, can read other machines shared folders/devices including
> printing
> > to a HP printer/fax/scanner connected to an Ubuntu box. I can also
> control
> > the three other Ubuntu boxes using VNC through a Terminal Server
> Client..
> > Using the utilities for the D-link router made the process much easier.
> The
> > time I've spent reading and learning is what allowed me to understand
> what I
> > was doing with those utilities and why however. So this has been a good
> > process for me to go through, and I thank you all for the help.
> > Things still to be done.
> >
> > 1) I want to access these three windows boxes with VNC to allow me to
> > operate them remotely (within the network).
> >
> > Windows XP
> > Windows 2000 Professional
> > Windwos XP (dual boot with Ubuntu 7.1)
> >
> > Any suggestions ?
>
> I'm not sure I understand...VNC should run on these boxes as well. The
> dual boot one is a little harder, but you should be able to load VNC on
> both OS's and if your using grub as your boot manager, then you should
> be able to make that work.

Installed VNC server on the three windows boxes and I'm able to access them
fine, even the dual boot. Just required an installation for each OS. I'm
having a little difficulty on the client side. The terminal server client
that ships with Ubuntu doesn't remember the IPs and can't find locations by
name. krdc is better, it retains the login information on the Ubuntu boxs,
but I have to manually enter the windows login (and remember the IP') each
time. Not a huge deal, buy not 'right'.

> > 2) I have set the three Ubuntu boxes to auto boot up a user so that I
> can
> > restart the box remotely and still be able to reconnect. I'd rather
> require
> > a password. On the dual boot machines, in order to switch OS I have to
> be
> > able to make a selection during the Grub boot up process.
>
> There may be a way to manage which one boots by default. Look into
> grubs options on this.

Yeah, there has to be a way. I'll keep digging

> > What do I need to use - know - do to allow me to gain control of the
> remote
> > box during the boot up process?
>
> Most likely here you'd need something like a terminal server which
> connects to the boxes through their serial port. There are other
> possibilities as well.

I haven't found anything for this yet.

> > 3) I'd like to enable the workstations to send faxes
>
> I haven't seen anyone do this in quite a while but check out hylafax.
> Use google, but here is one link: http://www.ahinc.com/hylafax.html

It appears that I may be able to just install the HP Fax as a printer that
can be shared by all in the network just like the printer. We'll see.

> <http://www.ahinc.com/hylafax.html>
>

> > 4) Security. I'm not concerned with security within the network. The
> > network is behind the router firewall, I just want to make sure that I
> have
> > that firewall set up correctly and if I need to do more.
> >

> Managing security doesn't really stop. I mean, once you get it setup,
> you have to continue monitoring security issues and the like. There is
> a lot to this, but stuff like nmap and tcpdump might be a good place to
> start.

Clearly I need to learn much more about that.

Thanks again for the input.

Bob