[aklug] Re: Network Set Up Project

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 08:32:58 AKST

Quoting Bob Cortez <rjcortez@gmail.com>:

> I'm happy to report that I've made great progress. All of the machines are
> on-line, can read other machines shared folders/devices including printing
> to a HP printer/fax/scanner connected to an Ubuntu box. I can also control
> the three other Ubuntu boxes using VNC through a Terminal Server Client..
> Using the utilities for the D-link router made the process much easier. The
> time I've spent reading and learning is what allowed me to understand what I
> was doing with those utilities and why however. So this has been a good
> process for me to go through, and I thank you all for the help.
> Things still to be done.
>
> 1) I want to access these three windows boxes with VNC to allow me to
> operate them remotely (within the network).
>
> Windows XP
> Windows 2000 Professional
> Windwos XP (dual boot with Ubuntu 7.1)
>
> Any suggestions ?

I'm not sure I understand...VNC should run on these boxes as well. The
dual boot one is a little harder, but you should be able to load VNC on
both OS's and if your using grub as your boot manager, then you should
be able to make that work.

> 2) I have set the three Ubuntu boxes to auto boot up a user so that I can
> restart the box remotely and still be able to reconnect. I'd rather require
> a password. On the dual boot machines, in order to switch OS I have to be
> able to make a selection during the Grub boot up process.

There may be a way to manage which one boots by default. Look into
grubs options on this.

> What do I need to use - know - do to allow me to gain control of the remote
> box during the boot up process?

Most likely here you'd need something like a terminal server which
connects to the boxes through their serial port. There are other
possibilities as well.

> 3) I'd like to enable the workstations to send faxes

I haven't seen anyone do this in quite a while but check out hylafax.
Use google, but here is one link: http://www.ahinc.com/hylafax.html

> 4) Security. I'm not concerned with security within the network. The
> network is behind the router firewall, I just want to make sure that I have
> that firewall set up correctly and if I need to do more.

Managing security doesn't really stop. I mean, once you get it setup,
you have to continue monitoring security issues and the like. There is
a lot to this, but stuff like nmap and tcpdump might be a good place to
start.

Mike B.