[aklug] Re: Network Set Up Project

From: Bob Cortez <rjcortez@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Feb 20 2008 - 18:08:20 AKST

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 8:57 AM, Jenkinson, John P (SAIC) <
John.Jenkinson@bp.com> wrote:
> security has changed
> ther are still a lot of probes looking for vulnerable machines to be
> sure
> but=20
> the threat landscape now includes iframe, drive-by, xss, etc.
> the malware is java so it runs on any platform. even so remember lion?
> the goal is to get in, steal your information (quicken, tax returns,
> online bank/broker login info) without
> tipping you off. remember information gives no indication of being
> stolen.=20
> relying on one firewall may protect you. may not. defense in depth.

I've taken basic precautions like firewalls and anti-virus for each box. No
one uses IE or Outlook. I sweep the windows boxes with adaware, spybot and
search and destroy which all also provides some "immunization" from common
bugs and trojans. All attachments and downloads are scanned prior to
opening. My wireless connection is encrypted. Where I am most uncertain is
on the Ubuntu installations and guarding against ports being compromised.
Fortunately, I don't think my little home network is going to be targeted
purposely. :). I just need to know where our network is vulnerable and work
at sealing as many holes and cracks as I can..

Bob