[aklug] Re: [aklug-ops] Re: How to Make a Contribution to AKLUG

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 13:18:11 AKST

On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Fielder George Dowding wrote:
> > Greetings all,
> >
> > I see the thread is alive and well. I will a note a point or two:
> >
> > 1. The marginal financial cost of continuing the corporate structure
> > for the Alaska Linux Users Group is $7.50 per annum.
> >
> > 2. The basic financial cost of a business license in the state of
> > Alaska is $100.00 per annum regardless of the business form, eg.:
> > corporation, partnership, or sole proprietorship. Furthermore, any
> > association, such as a bunch of geeks who get together once a month
> > or so, need a business license to conduct business within the state
> > of Alaska.
>
> First off: we are not a professional trade organization, and the US
> Constitution protects our right of freedom of association and freedom
> to assemble. No *club*, and let's be clear, that's all AKLUG has ever
> really been, needs a license to exist. If AKLUG provided external
> services, goods, or financing, then it would. But just for people to
> get together like FNL or a class? Absolutely not.
>
> > 3. The basic financial cost of a box at one of the US Post Office
> > Stations is $164.00 per annum.
> >
> > 4. Jim Gribbin, acting for the members of the Alaska Linux Users
> > Group, has spent close to $200.00 of his own money since, repeat
> > _SINCE_, the big election of 2007 where Mike Barsalou stood for
> > president and won in a landslide.
>
> Fielder, I've never questioned your accounting or the expenses related
> to maintaining the legal entity, but I am questioning the need for the
> entity itself.
>
> Now, I can appreciate Jim's financial sacrifice, and I offer this olive
> branch: if no one can come up with a plausible reason for why we need
> this entity to exist (and so far I have yet to hear a single one) I'll
> be happy to donate money to Jim to defray his burden.
>
> However, if the very few of you insist on continuing this organization
> with no logical rationale then you should do so at your expense. And
> it is very debatable as to whether you should be using AKLUG's name to
> do so.
snip

Well now, this is a whole new direction, Arthur.
> it is very debatable as to whether you should be using AKLUG's name to
> do so.

Arthur, first off, as you well know, Aklug is a corporation in Alaska, has
a PO and a bank account. All these things have previously agreed upon by
the membership of Aklug. You , as one vote, have turned A simple
request for donations to fund this structure into : 1. a debate on the
need for this structure, and 2. questioning the right of Aklug membership
to use the Aklug name in promoting GNU/Linux.

This seems very heavy handed way to voice your objections to the way the
membership has decided to do business. It would be more productive? to ,
as a separate item, to bring up your concerns to the membership, kind of
like a democratic process.

--
Greg Madden