[aklug] Re: [aklug-ops] Re: How to Make a Contribution to AKLUG

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 08:43:24 AKST

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Fielder George Dowding wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> I see the thread is alive and well. I will a note a point or two:
>
> 1. The marginal financial cost of continuing the corporate structure for
> the Alaska Linux Users Group is $7.50 per annum.
>
> 2. The basic financial cost of a business license in the state of Alaska
> is $100.00 per annum regardless of the business form, eg.: corporation,
> partnership, or sole proprietorship. Furthermore, any association, such
> as a bunch of geeks who get together once a month or so, need a business
> license to conduct business within the state of Alaska.

First off: we are not a professional trade organization, and the US
Constitution protects our right of freedom of association and freedom to
assemble. No *club*, and let's be clear, that's all AKLUG has ever really
been, needs a license to exist. If AKLUG provided external services, goods,
or financing, then it would. But just for people to get together like FNL
or a class? Absolutely not.

> 3. The basic financial cost of a box at one of the US Post Office
> Stations is $164.00 per annum.
>
> 4. Jim Gribbin, acting for the members of the Alaska Linux Users Group,
> has spent close to $200.00 of his own money since, repeat _SINCE_, the
> big election of 2007 where Mike Barsalou stood for president and won in
> a landslide.

Fielder, I've never questioned your accounting or the expenses related to
maintaining the legal entity, but I am questioning the need for the entity
itself.

Now, I can appreciate Jim's financial sacrifice, and I offer this olive
branch: if no one can come up with a plausible reason for why we need this
entity to exist (and so far I have yet to hear a single one) I'll be happy
to donate money to Jim to defray his burden.

However, if the very few of you insist on continuing this organization with
no logical rationale then you should do so at your expense. And it is very
debatable as to whether you should be using AKLUG's name to do so.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die