[aklug] Re: How to Make a Contribution to AKLUG

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 14:40:23 AKST

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Arthur Corliss wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Mike Tibor wrote:
>
>> It's been a while now but I recall that one of the main reasons we had
>> wanted to establish our status legally was that it opened some doors as
>> far as meeting space, and possibly involvement with events like the IT
>> Expo.
>
> That wasn't the case several years ago, but if that is the situation now,
> how hard is it to confirm it?

The stuff that Lee just mentioned in his message is mainly what I was
thinking of.

> What's the point? I know several people had grand plans for what AKLUG
> could do as a legal entity, but after a couple of years as such I'm not
> aware of anything they've actually done that requires it. If they can point
> to the contrary that would be great, but so far they have refused to point
> at anything at all.
>
> Bare in mind that I'm not against being a legal entity -- in fact I've
> already offered to support such -- as long as we actually accomplish
> something with it. Paying maintenance fees to the state, post office, and
> bank just for the sake of doing so isn't a wise choice.

Hard to argue with you on that. During the time I was president, I didn't
see that it was worth the effort to go after legal status, 501(c)(3) or
otherwise (that's the part of the Internal Revenue Code which defines a
tax-exempt entity, for those of you not familiar with it). I was able to
get meeting space at the UAA Library where I was working at the time, so
that wasn't something we needed to worry about. Core Communications was
donating rack space and covering the cost of the web/ftp server, so we
didn't have to solicit to cover that either.

You have a good point about "pie in the sky" ideas being plentiful, but
volunteers to implement them being few and far-between. I have vivid
memories of the sound of crickets when I would ask, "great--now who's
going to volunteer to get this done?" I think it just goes with the
territory of any volunteer organization.

> Before we start dreaming again, let's just be pragmatic for awhile.

Again, I find it hard to argue with you there.

Mike