[aklug] Re: How to Make a Contribution to AKLUG

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 14:57:47 AKST

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Lee wrote:

<snip>

> There were probably some other reasons as well.

Thanks, Lee. I've heard those reasons before, but I've never actually seen
anyone take advantage of it. Given our history I'm not optimistic that they
will now, or any time soon. Those ideas are good ideas, but they're not
worth anything without people to actually implement them, an ongoing and
critical problem with this group.

That being the case, I don't see any reason to continue paying to keep the
legal entity on life support.

> Now, whether any of the percieved benefits actually materialized is a different
> question, and I cannot address those.
>
> Now I am not an active member so I don't think it is appropriate for me to participate
> in organizational discussions. However in this case I perhaps had some information
> that could illuminate a bit.
>
> That aside, let me say this. Although I am not an active member, I still support
> aklug. I still derive benefit from the organization. And I do (and will) support the
> organization with financial contributions.

Many of us have supported AKLUG over the years, whether it's covering
printing costs for banners, pamphlets, etc., paying for the booth at the IT
Expo, or whatever. That's not going to change. But what should change is a
conscious decision by the group as a whole as to whether we should waste
money on pointless paperwork or front money when we can accomplish something
meaningful. I'd prefer the latter.

Bare in mind, people, AKLUG existed for the majority of its life as just a
volunteer supported group, no "official" legal entity. And, quite frankly,
it was more lively before the legal entity than it has been since. We don't
need the legal entity to gather as a group sharing a common interest, nor do
we need one to have occasional classes.

We *shouldn't* have a legal entity *unless* volunteers in the group are
going to step up and make a serious time commitment to perform duties on a
regular basis towards whatever goals the group wants to establish. And
until we have that, throwing away (or even collecting) money benefits no
one.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die