[aklug] Re: How to Make a Contribution to AKLUG

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Mon Jan 28 2008 - 13:54:12 AKST

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Mike Tibor wrote:

> It's been a while now but I recall that one of the main reasons we had
> wanted to establish our status legally was that it opened some doors as
> far as meeting space, and possibly involvement with events like the IT
> Expo.

That wasn't the case several years ago, but if that is the situation now,
how hard is it to confirm it?

> I think you may be coming on a bit strong Arthur, but you have a perfectly
> valid point. When asking for donations the officers should be prepared to
> explain and discuss exactly what the plans are for that money. Obviously
> there are expenses that have already been mentioned (PO box rental, domain
> registration, other small stuff).
>
> This doesn't have to be a negative confrontation--let's turn this thing
> around and ask ourselves what COULD we do with donation money. Then
> commit to it, given sufficient interest. What are other groups doing with
> the money they collect from their members?

What's the point? I know several people had grand plans for what AKLUG
could do as a legal entity, but after a couple of years as such I'm not
aware of anything they've actually done that requires it. If they can point
to the contrary that would be great, but so far they have refused to point
at anything at all.

Bare in mind that I'm not against being a legal entity -- in fact I've
already offered to support such -- as long as we actually accomplish
something with it. Paying maintenance fees to the state, post office, and
bank just for the sake of doing so isn't a wise choice.

Am I coming across too strong? Perhaps, but it appears that's the only way
to get anyone to respond. I ask quite politely and have been ignored for
over a week. That makes me a tad cross, and at this point everyone here
should know by now that I'm not going to just go away.

I'll say it again: if anyone wants to be a in a position of responsibility
for AKLUG and represent us in addition, you'd damned well better be
responsive to the group. If you're not willing or simply not up to the
task then get out of the way and let someone else do it. If we can't find
someone more dedicated to do so then that's all the more reason to scrap the
legal entity and go back to being just a user group.

Quite frankly, I'm not interested in ideas about "what if" at this point.
Lots of ideas are spouted, but when it comes to volunteers to actually make
it happen they're far and few between. Unfortunately, that's always been
the case, from the beginning under Dee's leadership, to your stint, to both
of Mike B's stints. AKLUG has always been a burden of a very few, and
usually the burden of whomever accepted the punishment of being president
for the duration.

Before we start dreaming again, let's just be pragmatic for awhile.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die