Re: Linux is moving too fast

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Tue Oct 23 2007 - 20:27:14 AKDT

I only read the first article.

As a non programmer I don't think I can comment on kernel development.
Unless I get a broken kernel. In that case I would be complaining. This
leads me to my first question.

How often do Linux distributions such as Red Hat or Debian get released
with a broken kernel?

The reason I ask this question is because Linux "users" get their kernel
from the distribution maintainers. I get my kernel from the Ubuntu
developers. So far I haven't had any problems. I haven't seen any one
else complaining either.

Are the Distribution maintainers such as Red Hat or Debian complaining
about the kernel and kernel development?

If the answer to this question is yes then I would start to worry. I
don't keep up on kernel issues so I don't know how the distributions are
doing. I take what they give me and hope for the best. Again, I'm happy
with what they have been giving me so far.

The open source world moves at an amazing pace. I started using Linux
back in 1999. Back then I was unable to use it as a workstation. Getting
X configured was tough. Now all I do is put in the CD, click install and
wait. The distribution detects my hardware and configures it for me. In
the case of Ubuntu it even installs 3D support so I can run the 3D
effects from compiz.

As a Linux "user" I am at the mercy of the developers. If they break
something and I get the broken code I'm in big trouble. If they stop
developing new software and features I'm also in big trouble.

Now on to something a little more fun. Well, maybe.

   1. Do you compile your own kernel?
   2. If yes why?