Re: Linux is moving too fast

From: Kenneth D Weinert <kenw@quarter-flash.com>
Date: Wed Oct 24 2007 - 07:45:34 AKDT

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 20:27 -0800, Damien Hull wrote:

> Now on to something a little more fun. Well, maybe.
>
> 1. Do you compile your own kernel?
> 2. If yes why?

I used to, but I'm not sure I see the need for it anymore except,
perhaps, in specialized instances.

It used to be that distribution kernels would be bloated because they'd
include a lot of functionality for different hardware so that they'd
"just work" out of the box.

This was also in the days when memory was a bit more cramped than it is
now. These days the kernel is so much more modular that all those extra
things don't get loaded in. Sure, there is still some extra "stuff" in
stock kernels so that they just work, but it's not as much and memory is
more plentiful and for most uses it's not worth the effort.

Now, for some applications (real time, for example) and for the people
that want the ultimate in performance it might still make sense to
customize a kernel and tune it for your exact hardware.

I don't go to that extent any more because I don't see the need for it.

--
Ken Weinert
http://quarter-flash.com