RE: Linux is moving too fast

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com>
Date: Wed Oct 24 2007 - 07:55:19 AKDT

Damien Hull writed:
> Now on to something a little more fun. Well, maybe.
>=20
> 1. Do you compile your own kernel?

Yes.

> 2. If yes why?

Because I can? Because that way I know that it's only got in it what I
want in it, and nothing else is built for it. I set my own
architecture-level and optimization-level, and keep the source around
for building other things that aren't in the kernel yet, but I need
drivers for. Yep, I've got hardware that doesn't have an in-kernel
driver, or binary replacements. Fun times with off-the-wall USB camera
support, let me tell you.

Also because I run vmware on linux, and VM is notoriously slow at
providing updates for new kernels, even when they're being updated for
security issues. So, I build my own kernel, and build my own VMware
shim. Seems to work pretty well, even if it means I can't be on the
bleeding edge kernels, due to VMware quirks in kernel interfacing.

Now, I've downloaded VirtualBox, by happenstance, but it doesn't like
me, and crashes when I boot up virtual machines. So I'm sticking with
VMware for now and waiting for more/better in-kernel VM support. Oh,
that's in 2.6.23, but looks like I need newer chipsets. Hooray for the
never ending cycle!