Re: Laptop

From: Kurt Mathews <skidriprekah@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jul 17 2007 - 12:01:31 AKDT

I'm going to keep an eye on Cyberpower.
I use to treat Dell computers like leprosy. I have not had much luck with
their technical support, but now I have ties with a department in UAA that
could get me free hardware replacements if there is good reason to believe
it is hardware related.

I think I'll try cyberpower or rjtech and buy an extended warranty. If it
turns out their service is horrible, I'll try Dell next.

You guys rock, thanks for all your input!
-Kurt

On 7/17/07, Piet van Weel <pmvw@outwardfocus.net> wrote:

> Hey Kurt...
>
> Your requirements are similar to mine; although, I generally try to keep
> mine under $3k.. ;)
>
> A big requirement for me is hardware warranty. My heavy laptop travels
> with me, where-ever I go. This means that it breaks from time to time.
> Keyboards, hard drives, LCD, etc... By spending the extra $400 I get
> the comfort knowing that I can get my hardware replaced pretty much
> anytime.
>
> For instance... When I was living down in Oregon, I worked for FEMA. We
> had a disaster up here, and I ended up coming up and staying for 5
> weeks. Unfortunately, my power supply went out about the same time I
> came up. I called DELL when I arrived, and a day later I had a power
> supply waiting at the front desk for me.
>
> Up to this point I haven't had any faults with DELL's replacement
> policy, (With their technicians *definiately*) but seeing how I would
> have easily bought a second laptop by now if I had to replace the
> failed/broken stuff; I'm glad I bought it.
>
> Piet
>
> Kurt Mathews wrote:
> > He all,
> > I am at the point where my current laptop cannot handle day to day
> stuff.
> > Time to start spending money.
> >
> > I have been looking at asus, sager - clevo, hp, dell, and apple. I am
> > leaning towards a clevo solution, but I wanted to ask the group to see
> if
> > anyone has suggestions or recommendations.
> >
> > Gaming computer, working computer, basically a desktop replacement, and
> my
> > goal is to stay under $2500.00
> >
> > Thank you,
> > -Kurt