Re: aklug Digest V6 #128

From: Jsw <jsw@wadell.org>
Date: Tue Jul 17 2007 - 05:11:31 AKDT

I recently had to retire my old IBM, and purchased a Gateway from Best
Buy for a bit under $600. It is a dual core AMD, gig of memory, 120MB
disk, etc. Runs 64 bit Ubuntu fine, with the addition of a wireless
card, since the built-in has only Vista drivers, and they are not yet
supported by NDIS wrappers or Linuxant. The box is quick, runs movies
great, etc. I to not know about gaming, as it is not my thing, but I am
using it for a desktop currently. Note that it came with Vista 32 bit (I
understand that there are very few 64bit drivers out there), and that
was REALLY slow, worse than my 500mhz IBM!

I think I remember that Doug had a similarly priced box form HP, and he
was able to get the wireless working. Sorry I did not know that before I
bought the Gateway. I would bet that you can get a killer box for a
whole lot less than your $2500!

Jim