Kicking around an idea

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 22:47:19 AKST

As some of you know, I used to work for the State at AIDEA. This gave
me an inside view of how the State of Alaska runs some of its IT.

I've been throwing around the idea of sending an e-mail to the Governor
that would talk about Open Source and how the State may be able to
leverage existing infrastructure. Approximately 10 years ago, they
embarked on a campaign to unify all the desktops to one operating
system. This is a laudable goal.

Unfortunately, the choices were slim. Yes, I know, Linux was available
then, but don't think it had the polish of the Linux desktop of today.

With Gartner and other organizations suggesting a wait and see approach
for Vista
(http://news.com.com/Gartner+Ignore+Vista+until+2008/2100-1016_3-5947521.html)
and with the "radical" change in the Office 2007 interface (according
to Walt Mossberg of WSJ), this is the right time to introduce Linux on
the desktop.

Anyone have any feelings/discussion about me representing AKLUG when
writing such a letter?

Look forward to the feedback.

Mike B.