Ruby talk outline

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu Jan 11 2007 - 23:24:43 AKST

I promised Bob Pelz I would provide an outline of my talk. I've run
out of time to produce a document that I could hand out, so I hope
those of you that are planning to show, don't mind printing this out
for yourselves.

The talk is scheduled for two hours, but I don't think I will attempt
to enthrall the throngs of people that are going to show for that long.
:) We'll probably spend a majority of the time doing QA.

If you bring your laptop, I'll help setup the environment on either a
Windows or Linux PC. Come to the meeting to find out why I'm even
mentioning installing things on a Windows PC.

Here is the outline on Ruby and Ruby on Rails discussion:

Web Programming Languages
  - Perl
  - PHP
  - JAVA
  - Ruby
  - Others

What's needed to program on the web

  - HTML/CSS skills
  - Database design
  - User Interface design
  - SQL skills

What is Ruby?

  - Object Oriented Language
  - Let's give it a try (http://tryruby.hobix.com/)

What is Ruby on Rails (Rails)?

  - What makes Rails so special? One mans opinion.

A Demonstration

  - Instant Rails

RESOURCES

Books I've read: