Re: Kicking around an idea

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Fri Jan 12 2007 - 18:27:37 AKST

On Thursday 11 January 2007 22:47, barsalou wrote:
> As some of you know, I used to work for the State at AIDEA. This gave
> me an inside view of how the State of Alaska runs some of its IT.
>
> I've been throwing around the idea of sending an e-mail to the Governor
> that would talk about Open Source and how the State may be able to
> leverage existing infrastructure. Approximately 10 years ago, they
> embarked on a campaign to unify all the desktops to one operating
> system. This is a laudable goal.
>
> Unfortunately, the choices were slim. Yes, I know, Linux was available
> then, but don't think it had the polish of the Linux desktop of today.
>
> With Gartner and other organizations suggesting a wait and see approach
> for Vista
> (http://news.com.com/Gartner+Ignore+Vista+until+2008/2100-1016_3-594752
>1.html) and with the "radical" change in the Office 2007 interface
> (according to Walt Mossberg of WSJ), this is the right time to
> introduce Linux on the desktop.
>
> Anyone have any feelings/discussion about me representing AKLUG when
> writing such a letter?
>
> Look forward to the feedback.
>
> Mike B.

Glad to see such energy from the new prez :-) I don't have any qualms
about using any and all approached to spread the word on FOSS.

One thing that I noticed with ASD, it was not until we approached a
principal of a school that we got a response, i.e. Highland Tech, atfter
no success with HQ.

I think a group of members could consentrate on approaching the state, the
Govenors office, etc. No effort is wasted, only a learning experience.

--
Greg Madden