Re: Why not Dell?

From: J D <donovanj@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Sep 11 2006 - 02:51:45 AKDT

On 9/8/06, Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com> wrote:

> At the risk of starting a war:
>
> One of my Dell servers, ~4 years old, bit the dust, motherboard dead.
> Why shouldn't I replace it with Dell?

We are reasonably big fans of super-micro here. You can get their bare-bones
servers and save a few bucks mounting your own drive/memory/cpu. They come
through with MB and psu mounted in the chassis. It takes me less than 30
minutes to take it from cardboard to in a rack.
I like the relatively long support life cycle/product availability. We have
some systems that are getting near 3 years old, and I can still buy the same
model today if I need to replace a failed unit. This is quite important in
my testing labs, but perhaps less so in your environment.

A few of the places we have servers we can't get a vendor technician into
the area, so support plans and 5 year warranties are great, but not if you
can't make use of them. So we make heavy use of COTS and do alot of custom
builds.

-J