Re: rsync trouble

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Sun Sep 10 2006 - 18:03:45 AKDT

bryanm@acsalaska.net wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 10, 2006 at 02:46:09PM -0800, Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to rsync data to a USB drive and it's not working. Here's the
>> command.
>>
>> rsync -av --progress /data/backup /media/usbdrive/
>>
>> Some of the data gets copied. However, there are a lot of "chmod"
>> errors. At some point I get "failed: Invalid argument (22)" and rsync
>> stops working. I think it was trying to do something with mkstemp. I'm
>> not sure what that is. I've done some searching on Google but no luck.
>>

> vfat doesn't support file permissions, does it? Perhaps rsync is
> expecting a more full-featured filesystem.
>
> --
> Bryan Medsker
> bryanm@acsalaska.net

You are correct.

Using a Mac I formated the drive hfs/hfs+ ( not sure which one ). I
chose not to use the journaling option. They say that doesn't work on
Linux. Connected the drive to the CentOS file server and got nothing. No
hfs support in the kernel. Connected it to my Ubuntu Dapper workstation
and got a drive icon on my desktop.

I'm now rsyncing data to the USB drive. It's a little slow because the
data is sucked across the network using NFS and then it hits the USB
drive. It's working! I'm happy! :-)