Re: Er.... for Sendmail users......

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 13:06:20 AKDT

Ben wrote:
> < I'm a top poster>
>
> <newbie>
>
> Damien, being that I'm about to head down that long road of setting up a
> box to run my own mail, can you please elaborate on your issues with
> sendmail?
>
> In my reading it would seem that sendmail is a fine solution -albeit
> complicated, being that it has the ability to process mail from a
> filtering standpoint before accepting for delivery. In this nasty age of
> more spam and viruee that useful email, wouldn't this model be somewhat
> choice for the internet's current state?
>
> Please set me straight here so I can pick a good solution that works
> without having to run mail with a P4 for parsing....
>
> </newbie>

Take a look at Postfix. It is a much better SMTP server. If spam is an
issue take a look at Postgrey. It does something called greylisting. I
think greylisting is a gift from the God's. I set up Postgrey for a
client and they get almost no spam. It's much better then spam filters
like SpamAssassin. I've been told there isn't a drop in tool for
greylisting on sendmail.

If you want to use Sendmail that's fine. However, email servers can be
complex and Sendmail just makes it more so. Postfix starts out simple
but has powerful tools to block out spam and provide good security. You
can have postfix up and running with filters, etc... in minutes. I've
tried to do this in Sendmail and I couldn't do it.

If I remember correctly Sendmail has its own programming/scripting
language. If you want to do anything fancy with Sendmail you need to
learn it. I consider this a waste of my time. As far as I know this
language is only used for sendmail and nothing else. I couldn't figure
it out and gave up. That's why I want to shoot it. Sendmail needs to
die. I don't want someone asking me to support it and I don't want to
see new users try to install and configure it.

Stay safe, secure and spam free with Postfix.

Here's what I use

   1. Ubuntu server as the OS
   2. Postfix MTA
   3. Postgrey
   4. Procmail - filters email through SpamAssassin and ClamAV. It also
      puts it in the Inbox, SPAM folder, VIRUS folder
   5. SpamAssassin and ClamAV
   6. Courier-IMAP for the IMAP server
   7. TLS/SASL and SSL for security / encryption