Re: Er.... for Sendmail users......

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 11:24:58 AKDT

On Wednesday 23 August 2006 08:15, Ben wrote:
> < I'm a top poster>
>
> <newbie>
>
> Damien, being that I'm about to head down that long road of setting up a
> box to run my own mail, can you please elaborate on your issues with
> sendmail?
>
> In my reading it would seem that sendmail is a fine solution -albeit
> complicated, being that it has the ability to process mail from a
> filtering standpoint before accepting for delivery. In this nasty age of
> more spam and viruee that useful email, wouldn't this model be somewhat
> choice for the internet's current state?
>
> Please set me straight here so I can pick a good solution that works
> without having to run mail with a P4 for parsing....
>
> </newbie>

<I'm a bottom poster>

<experience years=6 expert="some areas">
Postfix now has milter capabilities. We are in the process of migrating our
mail server to Postfix, and the set and config is soooo much simpler. Not to
mention that Postfix is magnitudes move secure than sendmail. The
process/priv separation that Postfix engages in makes things modular,
efficient, and secure. I reccommend Postfix. I heard good things about
qmail and exim, too, but have never used either.
</experience>

> -Ben
>
> Damien Hull wrote:
> > W.D.McKinney wrote:
> >> I think for all you flegdling users with sendmail, take a look at
> >> http://www.netdirector.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=26&
> >>Itemid=65
> >>
> >> :-)
> >>
> >> -Dee
> >>
> >> ---------
> >> with 'unsubscribe' in the message body.
> >
> > I think sendmail should be put to sleep. I would shoot it my self if I
> > had a gun. However, this netdirector looks cool. It's one more thing I
> > need to add to my long list of projects I never seem to have time for. I
> > may have to make time for this one.
> >

> > ---------

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111