Re: Er.... for Sendmail users......

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 14:54:55 AKDT

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006, Damien Hull wrote:

<snip>

I don't have time to waste on advocacy, but let me share with you some facts:

   1) You don't have to learn a programming/scripting language for 99%
      of everything you want to do in Sendmail. Sendmail does
      generate configs using GNU's m4 processor, just like
      thousands of other programs, so it doesn't hurt to learn
      that. I know a lot of admins that don't even know m4 and
      still manage to configure sendmail.
   2) It takes me about half an hour to get a mail server up and running
      with sendmail w/miltering (performing content filtering, virus
      scanning, etc.) on Nevaeh Linux, which is a source based
      distribution. Out of that half hour only about five minutes
      of my time is required.
   3) Sendmail has *several* greylisting milters available, and you
      can add your own in mimedefang with about ten lines of Perl.
   4) Sendmail also has something called GREET_PAUSE out of the box
      which gives you most of the benefits of greylisting with no
      work at all.
   5) I use sendmail because:

      a) there's nothing it can't do for mail routing/handling,
      b) I have yet to find another daemon that has even 75% of its
         flexibility,
      c) as the industry standard it's already everywhere and sometime
         it's not worth installing *more* software when it's part
         of the base OS,

No offense, Damien, but just because you couldn't figure it out doesn't mean
it's an inferior product and deserves to die. Is there a steep learning
curve? Sure. But once you invest that time it's all downhill from there, and
it makes hard tasks with other daemons trivial.

In short, folks, if you want to simple things I'm sure other daemons make it
easier than sendmail. If you every get into large scale ISP or enterprise
mail you'll find sendmail on a very short list of capable products.

         --Arthur Corliss