Re: eclipse (was: Programming IDE for PHP)

From: Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
Date: Fri Jun 16 2006 - 12:07:17 AKDT

* Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@ci.anchorage.ak.us> [060616 11:37]:

> A quick look at the website talked about LAMP. Will this work as a
> development environment for mysql/php/apache (ya know, LAMP...).
>
> I'm looking for something that the drones here can use, or else we are
> going to get stuck with MS access. =20

> /rant on =20
> you know, a Big Button that says "EASY", whether it is in fact or not is
> not relevant. Access is easy, just ask anybody <insert sneering emot
> here>. Of course 'good' is not relevant except to the poor jerk (me)
> that has to clean it up, but that's in the future and not their problem
> right now.
> /rant off

  If you are looking for something 'easy' in editors/IDEs, I've found
  that the easier it is to learn, the less customizable/flexible is the
  environment. Example: Emacs is 'very' hard to learn and the support
  community may seem kind of stiff and elitist, depending on how you
  phrase your questions. But you can do just about anything with it,
  including web development directly.

  Vim on the other hand is 'wierd' to some people because of its modal
  style of editing, but the support community is larger and more
  amenable, also it is more interoperable, in the spirit of open source,
  IMHO. Besides, if you get familiar with vim, it can add to your linux
  'resume' because it is the default system editor to many linux.

  If you want the 'easy button' for web developement, I'll make a
  recommendation, and I hope that you will hear others.

  Python as the scripting language.

  One of the python editors.

  If you are going to program in windows, the pythonwin editor is a
  wonderful editor, from what I've seen of it, and the pythonwin package
  was a lot of goodies for windows desktop programming. If you have to
  deal with MS-Access (and I used to a lot). Using python with odbc sure
  beats VBA.

  If you're going to develop on Linux, there is the Idle (as in Eric)
  editor that could be a good start. And you can go more complicated and
  powerful from there...

  In either case, the python community is very supportive, very gracious
  and friendly. And python is good way to learn good programming
  practices and design.

  I can't speak for PHP, haven't used it. I use python and rebol and
  javascript when I'm drug kicking and screaming to it, My partner uses
  perl, and javascript (as above).

  I hope this helps. Really are a lot of options out there.
  tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>