Re: Freebsd 6 is released:

From: David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-lists-aklug@weller-fahy.com>
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 13:52:27 AKST

My apologies if this shows up twice, my relay was playing tricks with
the envelope sender.

* Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net> [2005-11-04 21:24 +0100]:
> > Look into the "portupgrade" command; it's my understanding that it
> > knows how to do package-based upgrades, in addition to ports-based
> > upgrades.
>
> I see it upgrading software installed from the ports tree, but I don't
> see anything about upgrading packages.

Check out
<http://www.gsp.com/cgi-bin/man.cgi?section=1&topic=portupgrade>.
Special attention to the '-P' command line option.

That said, consider using 'portmanager' and using the ports tree. It's
what I use on my (vastly underused) server. ;]

> What would be really cool is if you could create a package out of the
> ports tree. That way you can have a build host and then distribute
> packages from it.

Ah-hah! But you can:
<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2005-March/081351.html>

I love using FreeBSD as a server... never used it as a desktop, though.

Right now I'm having fun with Ubuntu 5.10. ;]

Regards,

--
dave [ please don't CC me ]