Re: FreeBSD packages

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 13:22:34 AKST

Royce Williams wrote:
> On 11/04/2005, Matthew Schumacher wrote:
>
>>I'm not interested in compiling all of my software on each host so the
>>ports tree is out, I need package management.
>
> They're not mutually exclusive, I think. You can certainly use the
> -P option to portupgrade to tell it to prefer packages over ports,
> and you can tell portupgrade.conf to check your own local package
> repository for packages. Hit the portupgrade man pages.

I'm a crack monkey. This is still perfectly doable, but there's no
actual portupgrade.conf file. It's pkgtools.conf, since portupgrade
is a dependency-awareness overlay on top of the basic pkgtools suite.
You want the PKG_SITES variable to add to the package-site list.

A modified pkgtools.conf and a couple of package-building boxes are
how the FreeBSD folks generate their own packages, so what you're
wanting to do should be possible.

-royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                  - IP Engineering, ACS
personal: [first]@alaska.net                    - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531