Re: Freebsd 6 is released:

From: Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net>
Date: Fri Nov 04 2005 - 11:24:50 AKST

Mac Mason wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 08:25:48AM -0900, Matthew Schumacher wrote:
>
>>I wonder if the filesystem is really any faster, if so them my two
>>biggest complaints about Freebsd are now resolved: Filesystem
>>performance and nsswitch support.
>
> Really? I don't know anything about nsswitch, but UFS2 has always been
> pretty fast for me.

I haven't found that to be true. I did some benchmarking last year and
found that raw diskspeed for linux/ext3 was faster than freebsd/ufs. I
don't remember all of the details, but I did play with it a little so
I'm pretty sure I tried a couple of ufs options.

I also loaded openldap and found that linux served it faster than
freebsd. Perhaps it's time to get a test box together and test, but
every time I do I find that linux has much better support for what I need.

Nsswitch is an abstraction library that allows libc to lookup userIDs
and groupIDs in places other than /etc/passwd. I use it to look up file
ownership for ldap users.

Without pam/nsswitch your pretty much stuck with /etc/passwd which can
only do so much.

> Look into the "portupgrade" command; it's my understanding that it
> knows how to do package-based upgrades, in addition to ports-based
> upgrades.

I see it upgrading software installed from the ports tree, but I don't
see anything about upgrading packages.

What would be really cool is if you could create a package out of the
ports tree. That way you can have a build host and then distribute
packages from it.

schu