Re: Hi & Distro Recomendation for newbie

From: Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>
Date: Wed Sep 14 2005 - 14:15:18 AKDT

* Greg Madden <pabi@acsalaska.net> [050914 13:58]:
> On Tuesday 13 September 2005 03:44 pm, Weber, Brent wrote:
> > Hello all...
> >

> > I am starting a data warehousing project at work and have about 15
> > years experience developing Windows applications. I have never
> > worked with Linux. I have played around with FreeBSD a bit at home.
> >

> > After two weeks of hard thought, I typed "FORMAT C:" on my test
> > server.
> >

> > I am leaning towards Slackware on the server and Services for Unix on
> > my dev box. I have heard that Slackware is not for beginners. I
> > don't see any need to install a desktop on the server, so I like its
> > text based nature. Am I biting off more than I can chew, or can
> > someone with good tech skills manage Slackware as their first Linux
> > experience? Any advice is welcome.
>
> Slack is for the 'can't get a date with a real women' crowd. Real
> GNU/Linux users swear by Debian.

  Now he tells me! I thought it was
  "Slack gives you more appeal to real women."
  or do you have to use vim also?

  Seriously, I've been transitioning from Red Hat to Slackware and
  I really like the support community, which is of the philosophy that
  you learn the OS from the bottom up and are very helpful in pointing
  you in that direction. But you might find the support community for
  Debian to be cut from the same cloth.

  Tim
  (married man who uses vim)

--