email questions

From: <bob@estimations>
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 07:03:29 AKDT

I'm toying with the idea of setting up an email server for a small business
(about 10 employees). Email is currently being provided by a remote
webhost. The webhost has

I have a number of questions I'm hoping I can get some feedback on.

First of all, should I do it? What are the risks and/or rewards? I'm
thinking that the primary risk is that I don't know what I'm doing, so may
leave some security holes open in the installation, and that it might be a
hassle to maintain. But I'm thinking that the primary reward is that I can
more easily filter incoming mail, intercept spam at the server, etc.

Secondly, if I *do* try it, what is a good package? I've been looking at
qmail, and even found a couple of installation howto's that look like
something I could do. e.g.

http://www.flounder.net/qmail/qmail-howto.html
http://www.qmailrocks.org/

Does anyone have experience with qmail and/or others that they may like
better? Also, any recommendations on spam killer applications?

Thanks in advance,

Bob Crosby