Re: email questions

From: <rspickles@kcialaska.org>
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 10:43:44 AKDT

bob@estimations wrote:
>I'm toying with the idea of setting up an email server for a small business
>(about 10 employees). Email is currently being provided by a remote
>webhost. The webhost has
>
>I have a number of questions I'm hoping I can get some feedback on.
>
>First of all, should I do it? What are the risks and/or rewards? I'm
>thinking that the primary risk is that I don't know what I'm doing, so may
>leave some security holes open in the installation, and that it might be a
>hassle to maintain. But I'm thinking that the primary reward is that I can
>more easily filter incoming mail, intercept spam at the server, etc.
>
>Secondly, if I *do* try it, what is a good package? I've been looking at
>qmail, and even found a couple of installation howto's that look like
>something I could do. e.g.
>
>http://www.flounder.net/qmail/qmail-howto.html
>http://www.qmailrocks.org/
>
>Does anyone have experience with qmail and/or others that they may like
>better? Also, any recommendations on spam killer applications?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Bob Crosby
>
>---------

Heres My view on this

I have used our web hosts email service for use at KCI -- Why?
1. Cost - the same $100 per year that gets us our web site, a usable
mail system and FTP server with 3gb of disk space. Price includes domain
registration.
2. This system provides both web and pop3 access - So we use Thunderbird
to access for most users (I set Thunderbird to leave the mail on the
server until it is removed from the in box in Thunderbird itself). This
allows users to also check and use email when on the road or at other
sites via the web access.
3. This system has good spam blocking as well as the provider sees it as
a paid for service to us offers options that are not found in free email
accounts.
4. I have only minimal maintenance issues with such a service.
5. We also get to use an email address that points back to our site
(@kcialaska.org) and no tied in ads for a professional look and feel.

For the price I cannot justify the price of a local mail server and I
have about 80 email address as well - so at 10 email addresses I would
look to such a supplier and consider the costs involved.

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: rspickles.vcf