Re: email questions

From: jonr <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 09:59:09 AKDT

bob@estimations wrote:
> I'm toying with the idea of setting up an email server for a small business
> (about 10 employees). Email is currently being provided by a remote
> webhost. The webhost has
>
> I have a number of questions I'm hoping I can get some feedback on.
>
> First of all, should I do it? What are the risks and/or rewards? I'm
> thinking that the primary risk is that I don't know what I'm doing, so may
> leave some security holes open in the installation, and that it might be a
> hassle to maintain. But I'm thinking that the primary reward is that I can
> more easily filter incoming mail, intercept spam at the server, etc.
>
> Secondly, if I *do* try it, what is a good package? I've been looking at
> qmail, and even found a couple of installation howto's that look like
> something I could do. e.g.
>
> http://www.flounder.net/qmail/qmail-howto.html
> http://www.qmailrocks.org/
>
> Does anyone have experience with qmail and/or others that they may like
> better? Also, any recommendations on spam killer applications?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bob Crosby

The one nice thing about qmail is that there has been no need to patch
it for a security breach unlike other mail servers out there. Some
people patch for security some people patch for functionality, I prefer
the latter.

The other two programs you will want to look at will be SpamAssassin and
ClamAV. Set up a LDAP DB for your users and use SMTP-Auth or POP before
SMTP. This makes it possible for your users to use their same mail setup
  no matter where in the world they are. You do not want to be an
open-relay and if you follow the qmailrocks or LifeWithqmail then you
will not be one.

Any system you choose is going to be a steep learning curve not only
about the software but also about running an email server on the
Internet. Like Schu said, running your own gives you a lot of power over
what is accepted and rejected.

Good Luck Bob!

Jon