Re: email questions

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Fri Jul 01 2005 - 09:15:35 AKDT

bob@estimations wrote:

>I'm toying with the idea of setting up an email server for a small business
>(about 10 employees). Email is currently being provided by a remote
>webhost. The webhost has
>
>I have a number of questions I'm hoping I can get some feedback on.
>
>First of all, should I do it? What are the risks and/or rewards? I'm
>thinking that the primary risk is that I don't know what I'm doing, so may
>leave some security holes open in the installation, and that it might be a
>hassle to maintain. But I'm thinking that the primary reward is that I can
>more easily filter incoming mail, intercept spam at the server, etc.
>
>Secondly, if I *do* try it, what is a good package? I've been looking at
>qmail, and even found a couple of installation howto's that look like
>something I could do. e.g.
>
>http://www.flounder.net/qmail/qmail-howto.html
>http://www.qmailrocks.org/
>
>Does anyone have experience with qmail and/or others that they may like
>better? Also, any recommendations on spam killer applications?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Bob Crosby
>
>---------

There are a few things I would look at before deciding
1. How important is email?
2. Can the business survive if the mail server you set up doesn't work?
3. How much is it going to cost?
4. If the current email system is working why switch?
5. Is spam filtering the only reason you want to setup a mail server?

I would like to have my own email server but the company that hosts my
website and email has never failed me. It just works. I tried to justify
switching to my own server but couldn't do it.

One of these days I'll put up my own mail server but that's going to
take a lot of planning and testing. I want Imap, ssl encryption, SASL
authentication, spam filters, virus filters and all user accounts in LDAP.

If spam filtering is what you want there are hosting companies that
offer that. The hosting company I use has spamassassin. Once I figured
it out I got a lot less spam.

Hope this helps.