Re: Problem: apm no longer shuts down my ATX machines

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Wed Jan 12 2005 - 09:36:04 AKST

On Wednesday 12 January 2005 12:14 am, Fielder George Dowding wrote:
> There are half a dozen ATX machines (not counting my Sony VAIO
> laptop) for which I am responsible for their care and feeding. All
> run Debian "Sarge". I want them all to shut themselves off when I
> tell them to shutdown (usually through the GUI but sometimes via
> ssh). Three have been running "Sarge" for some time and up until a
> recent update (last week I think) all had been shutting themselves
> off upon my command.
>
> I did three new installations (the Debian Installer and my mirror a
> la Greg Madden) between Christmas and New Year's Day. I was unable to
> get these new installations to shut themselves off.
>
> I seem to be missing an understanding about this stuff. I do have a
> line in menu.lst (grup) that says apm=on, but it doesn't matter.
>
> I sure will appreciate some help. fgd.

You can't have both ACPI and APM enabled, you can but only one will
work, the other is ignored. That said, depending on the age of your
box, ACPI might not work. The APM config for power is :
CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF,

Try also ACPI=off along with apm=on.

My boxes magically decide, on their own, when the power off feature
works :), though my main workstation is never off, hopefully.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.