Re: sound card suggestion for 5.1

From: <captgoodnight@acsalaska.net>
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 19:59:12 AKDT

On Tuesday 01 June 2004 08:49 am, wongjk@acsalaska.net wrote:
> Hello!
> Down to brass tacks, is there a sound card that supports Linux (pref
> RH9) that will allow me to listen to dvds with 5.1 sound? More importantly
> listen to my music through logitech Z-640's 5.1 speakers.
>
> Background, I searched the archive, didnt see any posts about this subject.
> I went to the Open source sound web site, Informative... but, not very
> helpful. Ive searched the Usenet, fruitlessly. I dont seem to be getting
> any definite information, just vague information about "some guy at some
> time got some soundblaster 5.1 to work but only on cloudy days after he
> sacrificed his hamster to the box." I finally got a linux box working
> enough that im ready to use it for every day things, (AND really start
> learning linux!) HOWEVER, all my music is on a win2k box and i havent found
> a sound card that will support my Z-640's . I finally figured out how to
> mount a nt share, i loaded the correct modules to play my mp3s on to xmms
> (bloody Rh9!) But i ran into a stumbling block when i tried to use a via
> KT133 and my sound blaster live 5.1. I am no longer trying to use this as i
> have been told there are hardware level incompatibilities. But i do need a
> soundcard that will output AC3/5.1 to my Z-640's.
>
> any help/direction is greatly appricated.

Not sure if this will help, but I use the same speakers without any problems (sounds so good!) with
the cmedia cmi8738 6 channel (some kernel tweaks can add 2 more I think). It's onboard audio though. I think cmedia puts out a good chip,
so maybe hunt down a card with that chip?. http://www.cmedia.com.tw The chip is also really well supported by alsa/oss, no problems to date
and auto detected.

Bests of tunes to ya :)
eddie