sound card suggestion for 5.1

From: <wongjk@acsalaska.net>
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 08:49:10 AKDT

Hello!
     Down to brass tacks, is there a sound card that supports Linux (pref RH9) that will allow me to listen to dvds with 5.1 sound? More importantly listen to my music through logitech Z-640's 5.1 speakers.

Background, I searched the archive, didnt see any posts about this subject. I went to the Open source sound web site, Informative... but, not very helpful. Ive searched the Usenet, fruitlessly. I dont seem to be getting any definite information, just vague information about "some guy at some time got some soundblaster 5.1 to work but only on cloudy days after he sacrificed his hamster to the box."
     I finally got a linux box working enough that im ready to use it for every day things, (AND really start learning linux!) HOWEVER, all my music is on a win2k box and i havent found a sound card that will support my Z-640's . I finally figured out how to mount a nt share, i loaded the correct modules to play my mp3s on to xmms (bloody Rh9!) But i ran into a stumbling block when i tried to use a via KT133 and my sound blaster live 5.1. I am no longer trying to use this as i have been told there are hardware level incompatibilities. But i do need a soundcard that will output AC3/5.1 to my Z-640's.

any help/direction is greatly appricated.

Thanks
Jarrid Wong
aka "long term frustrated newbie"