Re: vncviewer localhost:5902

From: Jacob Gemmell <evilbob@sdf.lonestar.org>
Date: Tue Jun 01 2004 - 08:44:51 AKDT

On Fri, 28 May 2004, Tim Jordan wrote:

> I decided today to start providing remote assistance to users in our
> Windows domain from my Linux box. Previously I ran a W2K teriminal
> session to provide assistance.
> I installed vncviewer, vncserver,x0rfb..
>
> Now all our windows boxes have a customized ssh/vnc package that only
> allow loopback connections. So we ssh into the windows box and start a
> vnc session on our side to the local port ssh is running over.
>
> ssh -C -L 59xx:localhost:59xx username@computername
>
> Then:
> vncviewer localhost:59xx
>
> Here is where the problem is. I get nothing, no error, no screen,
> nada....
> All servers are running.
>
> Ideas?
>
> TJ

I didn't see anyone else respond so here is what I am doing. I have two
one line scripts. One called svnc which launches the ssh connection and
one call runvnc which connnects the VNC client.

svnc is:

gnome-terminal --window -x ssh -L 5950:127.0.0.1:5900 -C -l sshvnc $1

runvnc is:

vncviewer -8bit -shared 127.0.0.1:5950

They way it is used, is I run "svnc Computername" and it establishes a SSH
connection in a new termainal window, then I run "runvnc" after I have
established the ssh conection. You can also run svnc by itself and get
just a ssh command-line session for going in and running stuff if you need
to.

I know there are better ways to do this, and it only works for one
connetion at a time. When I get time I want to port Joe's script over to
bash so that it will let me establish multiple connections.

--
evilbob@sdf.lonestar.org
There are 10 types of people in the world: