Re: Program??

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 15:58:04 AKDT

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 13:25, Matthew Dunaway wrote:
> Does anybody know of a program for Linux that will clean up junk/temp
> files? I have no idea what such a program would be called, so that makes
> it harder for me to try and find something. I would also like to be able
> to uninstall programs, too.
> Trying to get a grip on system/file maintenance as I am going to
> purchase SUSE 9.1 Pro, and will be getting rid of Windows.
> I have downloaded and installed a few different programs for SUSE, but
> some of them won't run. No dependency problems or anything like that,
> just won't run. I followed all read me files but still no go. The latest
> non running program is Povray. I downloaded the SUSE 9.0 RPM and it
> won't run. I am at a loss on what to do. I followed all the
> instructions, but nothing.
> That is why I would like to be able to uninstall programs. I have no
> idea how to accomplish this. :-)

You mention Suse, RPM based. It is a funtion of the package manageement
system. In suse,if you use Yast , afaik, you always need to use Yast .
RPM by itself has options to manage packages, read a good howto on RPM's
to see all the things it can do.

Debian has its own package management system. You can 'apt-get remove
<package name>' removes the package leaves configs, or 'dpkg -P <package
name> removes (purge) package & configs. After doing this you can run
'deborhan' to identify any unused libraries not being used. This keeps
dow the clutter. Temp files usually don't accumulate unneeded data.

Debian is using 'apt' for part of its package management, this is
available on other distro's, Fedora, and as an addon to Suse. You can't
use apt & Yast with Suse, afaik.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.