Re: Program??

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 15:22:47 AKDT

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Matthew Dunaway wrote:

> Does anybody know of a program for Linux that will clean up junk/temp
> files? I have no idea what such a program would be called, so that makes
> it harder for me to try and find something. I would also like to be able
> to uninstall programs, too.
> Trying to get a grip on system/file maintenance as I am going to
> purchase SUSE 9.1 Pro, and will be getting rid of Windows.
> I have downloaded and installed a few different programs for SUSE, but
> some of them won't run. No dependency problems or anything like that,
> just won't run. I followed all read me files but still no go. The latest
> non running program is Povray. I downloaded the SUSE 9.0 RPM and it
> won't run. I am at a loss on what to do. I followed all the
> instructions, but nothing.
> That is why I would like to be able to uninstall programs. I have no
> idea how to accomplish this. :-)

For those of you wanting to track added files, etc., from source compiles,
you can do this (this is part of my normal source/compile/install system that
I use on my distro):

  # from the source directory
  touch ../${pkg}.timestamp

  # Touch every file in the tarball to make sure whatever is installed
  # has a newer mtime than our timestamp file
  find . -exec touch \{\} \;

  # Compile, install, configure, whatever

  # Find all the new files in our system space
  find /etc /lib /bin /sbin /usr /var -cnewer ../${pkg}.timestamp | \
    egrep -v '^/usr/src' > ${pkg}.manifest

The only problem with this is that you will have to filter the manifest a bit,
since things like logs, etc., will very likely change during this process.
Outside of that caveat this will give you a comprehensive list of files that
need to be removed during an uninstall.

        --Arthur Corliss