Re: Program??

From: Stanley Long <slong@customcpu.com>
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 20:43:26 AKDT

On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 15:58, Greg Madden wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 13:25, Matthew Dunaway wrote:
> > Does anybody know of a program for Linux that will clean up junk/temp
> > files? I have no idea what such a program would be called, so that makes
> > it harder for me to try and find something. I would also like to be able
> > to uninstall programs, too.
> > Trying to get a grip on system/file maintenance as I am going to
> > purchase SUSE 9.1 Pro, and will be getting rid of Windows.
> > I have downloaded and installed a few different programs for SUSE, but
> > some of them won't run. No dependency problems or anything like that,
> > just won't run. I followed all read me files but still no go. The latest
> > non running program is Povray. I downloaded the SUSE 9.0 RPM and it
> > won't run. I am at a loss on what to do. I followed all the
> > instructions, but nothing.
> > That is why I would like to be able to uninstall programs. I have no
> > idea how to accomplish this. :-)
>
> You mention Suse, RPM based. It is a funtion of the package manageement
> system. In suse,if you use Yast , afaik, you always need to use Yast .
Either that was true, or that is what we were originally told :=)

> RPM by itself has options to manage packages, read a good howto on RPM's
> to see all the things it can do.

The Redhat-Package-Manager includes a lot of info, but doesn't always
use it all (so we have been told). YAST us an RPM administrator, among
other things.

> Debian has its own package management system. You can 'apt-get remove
> <package name>' removes the package leaves configs, or 'dpkg -P <package
> name> removes (purge) package & configs. After doing this you can run
> 'deborhan' to identify any unused libraries not being used. This keeps
> dow the clutter. Temp files usually don't accumulate unneeded data.
>
> Debian is using 'apt' for part of its package management, this is
> available on other distro's, Fedora, and as an addon to Suse. You can't
> use apt & Yast with Suse, afaik.

The Advanced-Package-Tool advocates among the SuSE crowd are now using
apt and YAST without conflict. I do apt updates, but sometimes pull a
new package off the SuSE DVD using YAST. I also install my VariCAD RPMs
manually. As long as the RPM database rebuild gets invoked, YAST's GUI
finds and shows everything.

Start by reading the apt4rpm page: http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/
Proceed to James Ogley's repository:
                http://www.usr-local-bin.org/apt.php
and then go study the basic RPM stuff linked from either of these.

see also: http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic/
"Synaptic (previously known as raptor) is yet-another-GUI-frontend for
APT. But the major difference from other frontends is that Synaptic is
meant to be easy to use."